The Weight Loss Club has so far raised £710.50 (with Gift Aid) to fund specialist gardeners working with children at the school, with all children from Reception to Year 4 participating this year. If parents/carers/family/friends would like to donate to help the gardening cause, donating via MyDonate (link below) is the best way to do it because we get an extra 25% on donations from UK tax payers, via Gift Aid. Please make any donations as soon as possible as the page closes tomorrow!
We hope you had a good half term break and are raring to go after today’s inset day. The Friday Fundraiser on 10 February, the last day of term, made £113 for the Middle Bay classes, thank you and well done to everyone who took part.
It was held in a new location, the lobby, and proved very busy – here are some snaps of our committed and industrious volunteers selling the goodies as fast as they can. The Middle Bay classes even decorated their own cakes in class to sell at the stall.
We are now well and truly into 2017 and March is around the corner. Here are some fast approaching dates for your diary:
Thursday 2 March – World Book Day – all the children are invited to dress up as their favourite Book Character for a voluntary £1 donation. There will also be a book swap after school and cake/snack sale…more details to follow.
Friday 17 March – Friday Fundraiser for Year 1 classes – plus a used uniform giveaway, which proved to be very successful before Christmas…if you have any school uniform in clean reusable condition you no longer need, please leave it at the school reception with Andrea.
Please donate cakes and snacks and/or come and buy them from the after school cake sale on Friday 10 February. This time it’s run by middle bay years 3/4 to raise funds for a class treat or trip of their choice so please support them.
The main issues discussed at the PTA meeting in the Tufnell Park Tavern on 1 February 2017 were:
- The next exciting learning treat will be a visit from “Bang on!” who will do a performance for the children and then 1 hour workshops with all classes (reception 45 minutes) using upcycled musical instruments and percussion.
- Ideas are wanted for the summer term’s learning treat so please get in touch.
- The idea of class reps for each class every year. The parent or carer would act as a point of contact between the all parents/carers for each class and the PTA.
- The school trip to the Sobell centre – date to be confirmed but it is happening. We need a volunteer to coordinate the day. Can you help?
- The date for the school summer fair – 8 July. The theme this year will be circus!
- It was agreed that all funds raised from easyfundraising will go towards the purchase of books for the school (to supplement those that the school already provides).
The next PTA meetings are on 15 March, 10 May and 21 June, all in the Tufnell Park Tavern. We really need more participants, the meeting on 1 February was attended by a very small committed group but more people are needed. Last year we were not able to organise as many learning treats or events as we would have liked, as we did not have enough people to help run them. WE NEED MORE HANDS ON DECK! Please get in touch or come to our meetings if you can.
We will also be sending out a survey soon by email to find out people’s view on how the money raised by the PTA should be used. If you are not already on our email mailing list and would like to be, please contact us.
Last but not least you might have noticed from our website that we are now officially the Tufnell Park PTA. Do make sure you go to our homepage and follow us if you don’t already.
See? Healthy food is fun!
The UK is no longer heading for an obesity crisis: we’ve already arrived! If you’re not sure where you stand, take the NHS quiz, How Are You? With luck, you’ll be pleasantly surprised…
… and if not, Tufnell Park School’s annual New Year’s Weight Loss Club begins again on Monday 9th January at 8pm in the Nursery. Come along and get inspired. Weight loss can be hard and (let’s face it) dull, so we try to make it interesting with:
Great tips for healthy eating, delicious recipes, decluttering your food cupboard and preparing better food for a fussy family – all from nutritional therapist Amber Silverman, who supervises the club every week.
Authoritative weekly speakers on subjects related to health, weight loss, nutrition and feeding a family. This year, we’ve got:
Finally, remember that all donations made by and to Weight Loss Club members are spent directly on healthy activities for the children at our school: this year, the continuation of gardening lessons with a specialist teacher. Even if Weight Loss Club is not for you, please donate online via the link below – and help the next generation of children grow up to be fitter adults:
Preparation for Winter Candyland is now in full swing. Your £1 entrance fee includes a welcome drink, a visit to Santa’s grotto (and a present) and entrance to the games room and the legendary snow pit and disco. Timings to see Santa are at the end of this post.
In the meantime we need:
- help setting up. If you are able to help please put your name on the sign up sheet in the lobby. We need people to help set up from 2.30pm on Friday, help on stalls and help clear up afterwards
- cakes and biscuits (ideally star shaped!) on the day
- to borrow fairy lights (preferably battery operated) and extension leads. Please email us on email@example.com if you can help
- your raffle stubs or unused tickets. Please give these back to Andrea. The raffle will be called the following week in assembly
- donations of jolly jars for our jolly jar tombola. Please give them to Andrea in the lobby. You should have received a letter about this already. There’s also a poster and example in the lobby (along with some spare empty jars) and to inspire you further here is a picture of some gorgeous jolly jars already made by a Cygnus parent
Timetable to see Santa
If you would like to get in the festive spirit and can help with this year’s Christmas party, Winter Candyland, please come to the meeting about it on Monday 28 November at 8pm in the Tufnell Park Tavern.
This month’s Fundraising Friday is the Children in Need Spotacular this Friday 18 November. Our lovely football coach Naomi is arranging a host of activities; all money raised goes to Children in Need.
- Guess the number of sweets in the jar – in the school foyer all this week from tomorrow, Monday 14 November
- Raffle tickets (50p each) for Head for a Day will be sold all this week and the winner will be drawn at assembly on Friday 18 November, and will be the Headteacher for that day.
- Wear something spotty for the day (voluntary donation of £1 to be collected in the classroom).
- Then after school there will be spotty treats and cakes and fun games and activities.
As ever, volunteers are needed to help so please speak to a member of the HSA if you can lend a hand.
Other fundraising news: Cygnus/nursery raised £168.50 for themselves from their spooky treats and guess the weight of the pumpkin fundraiser.
The HSA Halloween dress up raised £187 for the HSA.
Well done everyone!
Parents, carers and teachers enjoyed tea and cake, a round up of last year and exciting plans for this year at the HSA Annual General Meeting on Friday. The minutes summarising the discussions can be found here
Dates for your diary for the next 2 weeks are the spooky treats sale TOMORROW Thursday 20 October to raise money for the Early Years classes (fundraising Thursday this time as Friday 21 October is an inset day) and Halloween dressing up day on Monday 31 October, the first day back after half term. £1 voluntary donation to raise money for the HSA.
With lovely Cygnus teachers running it,”Guess the weight of the pumpkin” proved a popular option.
Now that’s what I call scary
Just in time for the new school year, the much anticipated gallery of fabulous photos from the 2016 fun run is now on the HSA website: https://tufnellparkpta.wordpress.com/fun-run-2016/