Open PTA Meeting – Wednesday 24 January 2018
A well-attended meeting on Wed 24 January discussed the following:
World Book Day – Thursday 1 March.
Sarah Levison has kindly agreed to coordinate. £1 donation to Book Aid International for children to attend school dressed as a literary character. We will also offer a book swap, where parents can drop off books to donate & then choose a book/s at a stall after school. Books will be separated in to 4-7 and 8-11 age ranges. There will also be a one off workshop where children and parents can make World Book Day costumes.
Sports Relief – Fri 23 March
We are hoping to organise some sports activities rather than having a healthy snacks stall.
Rachel reported that she represents the PTA on the school’s Fundraising Committee, which is looking into supporting the school’s fundraising requirements for the new school building. The initial priority, for which no suitable grants are available, is to purchase new screens for use in the classrooms to replace the old interactive white boards currently in use. Two are currently being trialled in Ursa and Andromeda. Each screen costs appx £2,000, and the idea is to install them in the temporary classrooms for the children to use after Easter. The cost for these screens is therefore £16,000 at this stage, a further three screens to be bought for the reception classes when the whole school moves into the new premises after Easter 2019. It was agreed that the PTA would commit to up to £16,000 today towards the purchase of the current screen requirement, and that it will help fundraise for the additional £6,000. Rachel reported that Martin is also looking for £2,000 to pay for additional play organisers to maximise use of the playground when it is reduced in size during the building work. It was agreed that this could probably also be funded, subject to us understanding a little more about exactly what the money would be spent on.
Other funding targets include the library and artworks for the new building, as well as an ongoing project looking into the history of the school for which Leonie will circulate a proposal. The fundraising committee is also looking into introducing a “buy a brick” concept for individual sponsors.
Mr Scarborough has made clear that he wants suggestions for these to come from the school, but we have not received any suggestions from any staff. The school’s priority seems to be to focus on funding for the new build, and so it may be that after the Sobell Trip, all fundraising will be geared towards and minimising the impacts of the disruption to the school and to pupils, rather than curriculum enhancement.
Any Other Business
Leonie Gombrich reported that Diane is looking to set up a noticeboard in school where the school can help parents who are looking for household items etc. It was agreed that they can have a section of the PTA noticeboard for this, and if she passes a copy to Vicky she can happily add requests to the school Facebook Page. The PTA thanked all those individuals who helped out with the Winter Wonderland. Thank you!
PTA Committee Meeting notes – Wed 10 January
- The Committee met to plan out activities and meeting dates for the rest of the academic year. All future PTA meetings can be found on the School Calendar http://www.tufnellpark.islington.sch.uk/calendar/, Fundraising Friday dates & totals made are on the PTA site.
- Fundraising Friday on 19 January, to raise funds for outdoor play equipment. Please bring in cakes/healthy snacks.
- Join us on Wednesday 24 January at 8pm in Tufnell Park Tavern, when we will also be giving a big THANK YOU to everyone who helped make December’s Winter Wonderland such a success; we raised almost £2400 which will go towards activities and Learning Treats for the whole school. We also look forward to hearing your ideas & suggestions for the year ahead. Everyone is welcome.
- We are hoping to firm up the date for our whole school trip to the Sobell Centre in the early summer – keep checking for more news on this.
- Parents/Carers Event – we are aiming to organise something for all parents this term – again, check back for more information.
- We are looking for a volunteer or two to help coordinate World Book Day on 1 March, and Sports Relief on 23 March.
- Please get in touch if you are interested.
- The PTA welcomed Kate Barron, who has kindly agreed to take over from Hannah Codling with responsibility for PTA resources. Thank you Hannah, you will be sorely missed and we wish you all the best in the future!
Open PTA Meeting – Thursday 2 November
Here is a summary of the enthusiastic discussion that took place:
Winter Wonderland Friday 8 December
- We discussed several great ideas for Winter Wonderland, themes & decorations, all to be revealed soon.
- The date is confirmed as Friday 8 December from 5-7pm, a slightly later start time to allow us to set up.
- Stalls will include a repeat of the very popular “Jolly Jars” tombola (Jarbola): please start collecting glass jars to be filled & then sold on the night, let’s be creative.
- We will be in touch soon via your Class Reps to ask for help running the stalls, and there will be a sign-up sheet in the school reception area soon.
- We will also be holding our raffle, & have already started gathering prizes. We don’t want to exhaust the goodwill of our local shops and businesses, so we are asking parents to help us by sourcing prizes from further afield – would your employer be able to give us a voucher we could offer? Do you have a skill you would be able to offer – could you spend a couple of hours teaching someone how to do something perhaps?
- Are you happy to have an estate agent board on your property to sponsor Winter Wonderland? The boards are up for approx. one month. This is a great way for the PTA to raise money as the PTA get approx. £30 per board. Please check with neighbours if you live in a flat etc. If yes, please contact the PTA.
Cinderella Pantomime Trip – Wednesday 6 December.
We hope all the children will attend the Pantomime, please look out for the permission slip in PACT folders soon. For logistical reasons, we have booked coaches for everyone to get to and from the Hackney Empire, this is costing the PTA an additional £7 a head per child. We will be asking parents for a voluntary contribution towards the transportation cost.
The Cygnus and nursery classes will have their own Insect Circus puppet show also on Wed 6 December, with the chance to “meet” the puppets afterwards
PTA Committee Meeting – Wednesday 13 September 2017
The main points discussed at last week’s PTA Committee Meeting were:
- The Circus Summer Fair made around £4300 which is a wonderful result.
- Future PTA activities – a Shakespeare learning treat for autumn is already in hand & further ideas for an all school event were discussed.
- The school-wide Sobell outing is still planned, but will probably now take place in 21018, due to the installation of a trampoline park in the centre.
- The Early Years classes will soon receive high visibility vests to wear on school trips.
- Several members of the PTA stepped down at the end of last term, we are therefore looking for a new Co-Chair, someone with fund-raising experience, a poster designer and general help with events.
- The PTA Annual General Meeting will take place on Friday 13 October straight after school, in Andromeda classroom, with child care provided in Cygnus.
Other dates that were confirmed are:
Thursday 5 October – International Evening – 5-7pm
Friday 13 October – PTA AGM
Tuesday 31 October – Halloween Dress up Day
Friday 8 December* – School Christmas Fair
Friday 15 December – Wear something Christmassy
Thursday 1 March – World Book Day
Thurs/Friday 7 & 8 June* – Fun Run
Saturday 7 July* – Summer Fair
*subject to change due to rebuild.