PTA Meeting Notes

Open PTA Meeting held Monday 21 May at 15.30 in Andromeda Classroom

Summer Fair – Emilie explained the space available on the school grounds, and explained the decision not to use Dalmeny Road due to safe-guarding and increased insurance costs. Emilie has spoken to Anna who says we can use the hall and infant classrooms, as long as the hall isn’t a focal point attracting lots of people at once (eg not to be used as a stage).

We discussed the theme (Construction) and what we could do with this. There were plenty of idea’s for stalls – how many Lego pieces in the jar, how big a Lego tower can you make, Giant Jenga, Wrecking ball, Colouring wall (using the hoarding in the playground), Twirly paint thing, Black paper and chalk. There was a discussion about alcohol on the tombola and how last year children weren’t allowed to claim the prize if that is what they won. We discussed having an alcohol or adult only tombola alongside the cuddly toy tombola. We thought about extending the children’s tombola to include toys and books. It was decided to assign stalls to the class reps like last year. Sonia pointed out the coloured hair spray was very popular last year, and it was noted we needed to buy more.

We all agreed to encourage other people to have Drivers and Norris boards.

Fun Run – There was concern from some parents that the school grounds will be unsafe for the Fun Run and that maybe it could take place elsewhere this year. Jennie explained that it would probably take too much time out of the school day to move each class to the playing fields, but agreed to talk to Mr Scarborough about it.

Whole School Trip to Sobell – Friday 29 June – We will ask parents to contribute trampoline socks if they have them.

Any Other Business – Emma C-R asked about the possibility of a disco for the Year 6 children. We agreed it was a good idea, but that PTA resources are already spread thinly. Donna said she would happily take charge. It was decided it would be for year 6 children only.

Next Meetings – Wed June 13 at 15.30 / Friday 29 June

__________________________________________________________________

Open PTA Meeting held Thursday 3 May in Tufnell Park Tavern

Summer Fair – It was decided to move the date of the Summer Fair to July 14. Due to the ongoing building works, the fair will be smaller this year, as we cannot use the hall and there are space restrictions.  Themes discussed were: Superheroes and construction. The Chairs will discuss and pick the one with the most potential. Kate Barron is leading on the raffle prizes. Jennie Potts will take over the hamper from Clare Devane after this year.  Irene will pop in to Drivers & Norris to confirm they are still happy to support and confirm deadline for boards. Vicky will manage the boards list.  We will go ahead with the class per stall arrangement as per last year and see how it goes.

Fun Run – Ezequiel (Lorea’s dad in Ursa) needs a rota of 3-4 volunteers for each race – class reps will be asked to call for volunteer helpers. The sponsorship forms will be in paper format again this year, with a “per lap” option. As well as the online MyDonate page. Funds raised will go towards playmakers for the playground. To reduce the waste of plastic cups, children will bring their own water bottles for the run and we will additionally have the school’s washable school cups as extras.

Bingo Night – Fri 15 June – This will be an adult only event, an evening of live music and bingo.

Whole School Trip to Sobell – Friday 29 June – this will also be announced in the next newsletter. We need to check the adult/child ratio requirements for unaccompanied children in trampoline area. We will also ask parents to contribute trampoline socks if they have them.

__________________________________

Full PTA Meeting on 7 March

The first discussion was about the quiz night next week. Vanessa visited Yerbury School’s quiz night recently, and is confident that ours will be as much fun and inclusive for all involved! We are hoping to have at least 80 people there. Lots of people have told us they are coming, but there are still discounted tickets available to buy from Andrea, so don’t forget to buy your tickets before the night (helps us with getting the right level of supplies too).

Rachel reported on the activities of the fundraising committee. The school is planning a project based around the history of the school. PTA help is requested to tie this in with our events calendar, and we might want to look at having a 1950s theme for this year’s summer fair to reflect on what has changed in the area since the school was built. Any budding historians out there who would like to research famous alumni of the school? Please get in touch!

We also discussed other events in the calendar, including Sports Relief on 23 March, the Easter Bonnet Parade on the 29 March, and the school uniform, swap on 27 April when we come back for the summer term. If you have any good quality school uniform you would like to donate, please hand it in by the end of this term!

___________________________________________

PTA Committee meeting on 28 Feb:

16 March: Quiz night. Vanessa Harcourt (Mum of Edward and Elliot) is taking the lead on organising this and has everything in hand.

23 March: Sports Relief: We discussed some ideas to come up with some fun activities in addition to offering a healthy snacks stall on the day, dress as a funny sports person.

29 March: Easter Hat Parade: whilst this is a school run event, it would be good to give parents some information about what it involves with handout containing Easter Hat ideas.

7/8 June: School fun run. Ezequiel (Lorea’s Dad, Ursa) has again kindly agreed to organise this. We discussed some requests to try and make the day a bit more “fun” – perhaps some runners in fancy dress?

Sobell day: This is now confirmed for Fri 29 June with the Sobell Centre for this exciting day when the whole school gets to have a go at everything on offer!

7 July: Summer Fair: Jennie, Mags and Emilie will take the lead on organising this.  It’s not too early to start thinking about it!

Open PTA Meeting – Wednesday 24 January 2018

A well-attended meeting on Wed 24 January discussed the following:

World Book Day – Thursday 1 March.

Sarah Levison has kindly agreed to coordinate.  £1 donation to Book Aid International for children to attend school dressed as a literary character. We will also offer a book swap, where parents can drop off books to donate & then choose a book/s at a stall after school. Books will be separated in to 4-7 and 8-11 age ranges.  There will also be a one off workshop where children and parents can make World Book Day costumes.

Sports Relief – Fri 23 March

We are hoping to organise some sports activities rather than having a healthy snacks stall.

Fundraising Update

Rachel reported that she represents the PTA on the school’s Fundraising Committee, which is looking into supporting the school’s fundraising requirements for the new school building. The initial priority, for which no suitable grants are available, is to purchase new screens for use in the classrooms to replace the old interactive white boards currently in use. Two are currently being trialled in Ursa and Andromeda. Each screen costs appx £2,000, and the idea is to install them in the temporary classrooms for the children to use after Easter. The cost for these screens is therefore £16,000 at this stage, a further three screens to be bought for the reception classes when the whole school moves into the new premises after Easter 2019. It was agreed that the PTA would commit to up to £16,000 today towards the purchase of the current screen requirement, and that it will help fundraise for the additional £6,000. Rachel reported that Martin is also looking for £2,000 to pay for additional play organisers to maximise use of the playground when it is reduced in size during the building work. It was agreed that this could probably also be funded, subject to us understanding a little more about exactly what the money would be spent on.

Other funding targets include the library and artworks for the new building, as well as an ongoing project looking into the history of the school for which Leonie will circulate a proposal. The fundraising committee is also looking into introducing a “buy a brick” concept for individual sponsors.

Learning Treats

Mr Scarborough has made clear that he wants suggestions for these to come from the school, but we have not received any suggestions from any staff. The school’s priority seems to be to focus on funding for the new build, and so it may be that after the Sobell Trip, all fundraising will be geared towards and minimising the impacts of the disruption to the school and to pupils, rather than curriculum enhancement.

Any Other Business

Leonie Gombrich reported that Diane is looking to set up a noticeboard in school where the school can help parents who are looking for household items etc. It was agreed that they can have a section of the PTA noticeboard for this, and if she passes a copy to Vicky she can happily add requests to the school Facebook Page.  The PTA thanked all those individuals who helped out with the Winter Wonderland.  Thank you!

 

PTA Committee Meeting notes – Wed 10 January

  • The Committee met to plan out activities and meeting dates for the rest of the academic year. All future PTA meetings can be found on the School Calendar http://www.tufnellpark.islington.sch.uk/calendar/, Fundraising Friday dates & totals made are on the PTA site.
  • Fundraising Friday on 19 January, to raise funds for outdoor play equipment. Please bring in cakes/healthy snacks.
  • Join us on Wednesday 24 January at 8pm in Tufnell Park Tavern, when we will also be giving a big THANK YOU to everyone who helped make December’s Winter Wonderland such a success; we raised almost £2400 which will go towards activities and Learning Treats for the whole school. We also look forward to hearing your ideas & suggestions for the year ahead.  Everyone is welcome.
  • We are hoping to firm up the date for our whole school trip to the Sobell Centre in the early summer – keep checking for more news on this.
  • Parents/Carers Event – we are aiming to organise something for all parents this term – again, check back for more information.
  • We are looking for a volunteer or two to help coordinate World Book Day on 1 March, and Sports Relief on 23 March.
  • Please get in touch if you are interested.
  • The PTA welcomed Kate Barron, who has kindly agreed to take over from Hannah Codling with responsibility for PTA resources. Thank you Hannah, you will be sorely missed and we wish you all the best in the future!

Open PTA Meeting – Thursday 2 November

Here is a summary of the enthusiastic discussion that took place:

Winter Wonderland Friday 8 December

  • We discussed several great ideas for Winter Wonderland, themes & decorations, all to be revealed soon.
  • The date is confirmed as Friday 8 December from 5-7pm, a slightly later start time to allow us to set up.
  • Stalls will include a repeat of the very popular “Jolly Jars” tombola (Jarbola): please start collecting glass jars to be filled & then sold on the night, let’s be creative.
  • We will be in touch soon via your Class Reps to ask for help running the stalls, and there will be a sign-up sheet in the school reception area soon.
  • We will also be holding our raffle, & have already started gathering prizes. We don’t want to exhaust the goodwill of our local shops and businesses, so we are asking parents to help us by sourcing prizes from further afield – would your employer be able to give us a voucher we could offer? Do you have a skill you would be able to offer – could you spend a couple of hours teaching someone how to do something perhaps?
  • Are you happy to have an estate agent board on your property to sponsor Winter Wonderland? The boards are up for approx. one month. This is a great way for the PTA to raise money as the PTA get approx. £30 per board. Please check with neighbours if you live in a flat etc. If yes, please contact the PTA.

Cinderella Pantomime Trip – Wednesday 6 December.

We hope all the children will attend the Pantomime, please look out for the permission slip in PACT folders soon.  For logistical reasons, we have booked coaches for everyone to get to and from the Hackney Empire, this is costing the PTA an additional £7 a head per child.  We will be asking parents for a voluntary contribution towards the transportation cost.

The Cygnus and nursery classes will have their own Insect Circus puppet show also on Wed 6 December, with the chance to “meet” the puppets afterwards

___________________________________________________________________

PTA Committee Meeting – Wednesday 13 September 2017

The main points discussed at last week’s PTA Committee Meeting were:

  • The Circus Summer Fair made around £4300 which is a wonderful result.
  • Future PTA activities – a Shakespeare learning treat for autumn is already in hand & further ideas for an all school event were discussed.
  • The school-wide Sobell outing is still planned, but will probably now take place in 21018, due to the installation of a trampoline park in the centre.
  • The Early Years classes will soon receive high visibility vests to wear on school trips.
  • Several members of the PTA stepped down at the end of last term, we are therefore looking for a new Co-Chair, someone with fund-raising experience, a poster designer and general help with events.
  • The PTA Annual General Meeting will take place on Friday 13 October straight after school, in Andromeda classroom, with child care provided in Cygnus.

Other dates that were confirmed are:

Thursday 5 October – International Evening – 5-7pm

Friday 13 October – PTA AGM

Tuesday 31 October – Halloween Dress up Day

Friday 8 December* – School Christmas Fair

Friday 15 December – Wear something Christmassy

Thursday 1 March – World Book Day

Thurs/Friday 7 & 8 June* – Fun Run

Saturday 7 July* – Summer Fair

*subject to change due to rebuild.